Friday 11 September 2009

escuela #90


well i finally have had time to get some great photos of my students, school, and different activities.  i can't say it's been easy - i bring my camera EVERY single day to school but somehow between teaching, trying to remember 250 kids' names, getting to know my colleagues, and getting my materials ready for the next class i forget, go figure... this is a pic of my students who participated in a "cueca" competition.  the national dance of chile

anyhow the point is i finally have things to show you about my teaching experience :) last week i taught all my students the song "hello, goodbye" by the beatles (i can't say it was my clever idea, but i can say i was clever enough to steal the idea and use it as a teaching tool!)  i taught a lesson on different ways of opening and closing a conversation and that segued into the song. we learned motions to go with the music and it ended up being really fun.  although a negative by product of teaching a song 6 classes everyday for an entire week is that my voice is shot :( i attached a video for your viewing pleasure of 8th grade singing in a competition we had.

as for school i am teaching 4 grade levels - 5th and 6th grade one time each week for 45 minutes a piece and then 7th and 8th grade for 2 45 minute classes a piece.  i can't say it's easy and of course, nothing worth doing ever is - but i really did not anticipate so many discipline problems with my students.  i kinda thought they would be so excited about english and having a special class they would behave.  of course they are not all poorly behaved but in the classes where there are 5 students that disrupt and interrupt it is impossible for anyone to learn.  some days i wonder why the government spends so much money trying to bring english to schools that are lacking such fundamental things like a loudspeaker.... i know, i know - it's not supposed to be the same and i don't like complaining, but i don't wanna be dishonest in my account either.

last week was a great week of classes, everyone behaved beyond belief and participated because they were motivated and enticed by the song.  but we can't do a song EVERY class, besides there aren't songs to teach every skill.  believe me i have tried.  i have to say though, they do love the days of the week and months of the year song as they are set to the adamm's family and
 macarena themes, respectively.  i try to sing at least one song with them a day and they are totally appreciative of it.  and it makes me glad to see they are learning through music. speaking of music, this is the band - all of them are my students.... if only i could get them to be so disciplined in my class - i KNOW it has to do with the music!!!

since i dont have official classes on wednesdays i started an "English Club" - the 5th and 6th graders met together for an hour and then 7th and 8th graders come for the next hour.  we have been able to do fun stuff that is impossible to do in class.  we have done some arts and crafts, singing more popular songs (they LOVE michael jackson, miley cyrus, and the jonas brothers) we play simon says and have done more lengthy conversations as there are less students and they are all highly motivated.  it is a nice midweek thing to get me through because the other days of the week are long and often times frustrating.  but in the end, when students greet me and see me off at the end of the day in english i have to say it makes a difference.
 LITTLE by LITTLE... i have to keep reminding myself every step is a step closer to them learning and becoming more interested in english.  

so this week is the anniversary of my school and it is customary for the entire week to be filled with competitions of soccer, dance, performances, and general activities between each course.  as if that wasn't enough excitement independence week starts on sunday.  yes, you heard right - independence week, it lasts ALL week. everyone has been preparing to dance the national dance, la cueca, buying outfits and practicing like mad.  this entire next week is going to be spent eating, dancing, listening to music and watching games and competitions.  this is bastian (my lil bro) and ignacio (my lil cousin) at school getting ready to dance cueca.  well there you are some photos and info about my school ENJOY!!!!  


1 comment:

Gina said...

I TOTALLY LOVE IT EM!! Keep up the Super work...it looks like fun. I wish I could be there with you! :)